As I started rounding up the comics I liked this year, I saw a pattern, so I made a joke:
Do men make comics?
— Eden (@comicsgirl) December 17, 2014
And then I just decided to go with it.
This is not a definitive list but these are all comics, creators, events and projects from 2014 I want to recognize. I think we can all agree that 2014 was a pretty remarkable year for comics.
- Best acceptance speech: Cathy G. Johnson after winning the Ignatz Award for Promising New Talent
- Best Anthology (multiple creators): Dirty Diamonds #5 edited by Kelly Phillips and Claire Folkman
- Best Anthology (single creator): Through the Woods by Emily Carroll
- Best Bestseller: Raina Telgemeier
- Best Comic Book Movie: We Are The Best!
- Best Fashion: Operation Margarine by Katie Skelly
- Best Graphic Fictionalized Memoir: Over Easy by Mimi Pond
- Best Graphic Memoir: Can’t We Talk About Something More Pleasant? by Roz Chast
- Best Graphic Novel: This One Summer by Jillian Tamaki and Mariko Tamaki
- Best Graphic Self-Help Guide: Your Illustrated Guide to Becoming One With the Universe by Yumi Sakugawa
- Best Historic Graphic Novel: Sally Heathcote, Suffragette by Mary Talbot, Kate Charlesworth and Bryan Talbot
- Best Jill-of-All-Trades: Shing Yin Khor
- Best Mini-Comic About Space: “Pilgrimage” by Alison Wilgus
- Best Online Comic (one-shot): “You Should Know Where You Come From” by Celine Loup
- Best Online Comic (ongoing): Strong Female Protagonist by Molly Ostertag and Brennan Lee Mulligan
- Best Publisher: Annie Koyama, Koyama Press
- Best Single Issue: Frontier #6 by Emily Carroll
- Best Thing to Happen to Mainstream Comics: Lumberjanes by Grace Ellis, Noelle Stevenson and Brooke A. Allen
- Best Voice for Diversity: Mari Naomi for the Cartoonists of Color database and the LGBTQ Cartoonists database