- As summer sizzles, College Park store owners see business fizzle — brief mention of Big Planet College Park
- Superheroes mean super business for Annapolis shop
- Theater J has a series of events in conjunction with The History of Invulnerability
- Curls Studio on Capicons
- Photos from Jerry Gaylord signing at Big Planet Comics College Park
- Photos by Mike Rhode of Artomatic and of Russ Kick at Big Planet Comics Bethesda
- The Carolyn and Joe Show featuring Full Sanction (yes, again!)
- Magic Bullet #5 – D.C. area’s comic newspaper. Currently, there’s less than $200 to go.
Debuts and new issues/releases:
- Team Cul de Sac: Cartoonists Draw the Line at Parkinson’s, various artists, Andrews McMeel Publishing. Benefit book for cartoonist Richard Thompson. June 5.
- Xoc: The Journey of a Great White, Matt Dembicki with colors by Evan Keeling, Oni Press (20-page preview from Oni Press). July 25.
- Mr. Big: A Tale of Pond Life, Carol and Matt Dembicki, Sky Pony Press. Sept. 1.
- District Comics: An Unconventional History of Washington, DC, various artists, Fulcrum Publishing. Sept. 11.
- Ongoing until June 17: “Life Unreal: Art by Evan Keeling and Scott White,” Northside Social, Arlington, Va.
- Ongoing until June 23: Artomatic, featuring Christiann MacAuley, Ben Claassen III, Urvi Mehta, Jeff Kollins, Sarah Palaszynski, Ivan Collich, Michael Auger and many others.
- Ongoing through June Mark Burrier: Rare Words Exhibition, Flying Dog Brewery, Frederick, Md.
- Through July 8: The History of Invulnerability , Theater J, Jewish Community Center, Washington, D.C. Tickets and showtime information at the link.
Theater J offers $10 off tickets to readers of this blog using “DCCOMICS” either online at the Theater J website or by phone at 800-494-8497. The theater also offers a discount to those 35 and younger, which makes $15 during the week and $25 on the weekends. No discount code is needed.
- Beginning June 7: “Graphic Details: Confessional Comics by Jewish Women” at the Ann Loeb Bronfman Gallery, Jewish Community Center, Washington, D.C. Opening reception June 7 at 6 p.m. Free, but RSVP encouraged
- June 9: Nick Abadzis, creator of Hugo Tate, signing, 3 to 5 p.m. at Big Planet Comics, Bethesda, Md.
- June 9 and June 10: Robert Venditti, writer of X-O Manowar and The Surrogates signing, noon to 3 p.m, at Alliance Comics Baltimore (June 9) and Alliance Comics Silver Spring (June 10).
- June 10: Team Cul de Sac book launch, 5 to 7 p.m., One More Page Books, Arlington, Va.
- Various dates beginning June 17: Create a Comic Book with Matt Dembicki, 7 p.m. at Fairfax County Libraries.
- June 23: Panel on District Comics: An Unconventional History of Washington, DC, featuring Matt Dembicki, Andrew Cohen, Peter Conrad and Brook Allen, 11 to 11:30 a.m., American Library Association conference, Anaheim, Calif.
- June 25: Panel on Books Without Boundaries: Crossover Fiction for YA and Adults, featuring Matt Dembicki, 10:30 a.m. to noon, American Library Association conference, Anaheim, Calif.
- June 30: Landry Quinn Walker and Eric Jones, creators of Danger Club, signing, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Third Eye Comics, Annapolis, Md. First 15 people in line get a special gift.